Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Part One: The trip down

The green blanketed, rough rising mountains
rose up ahead, infront of me,
Ushering the water to the sea.

My eyes translated their emerald green
into the dove grey I remembered them being.

"Do you feel anything?"
"Butterflies?"
"Do you feel like you are going home?"

I feel like I am in a time machine-
Lipstick red, zooming along the slick black
snake of the road, a serpentine conveyor belt,
twisting and wrapping along the foothills of those giants.

I feel...

There is a break in the clouds and the
sun kisses her slopes and heavy arms-
The water twinkles. The sheep lay by the roadside...
Were these ones lambs the last time I was here?

Then the rain again. Pelting down
Go Away!
Go Away!
We fly through it and come out the other end
The familiar road. The same cluster of trees.
Nothing has changed here.

And I feel...

Welcome to...
Oh, there she is! Grey and gloomy and dull as ever
I have seen her looking better.
The lake appears upset. Moving. Unsettled
I will see you again tomorro.
I promise.

"So how do you feel..?"
Anxious
Sick
Worried
Not excited, not happy.
"You'll be ok, once your there. Its just going to be squeeling girls. Youl be fine"
I regress to 15. I feel like I am going there for the first time. The same line of conversation plays out.
A little encouragement
A strange feeling
Keep going
Dont slow down

Suddenly the mountains and closeness open out and I am met by open bog and brown hills.
Not so friendly. Not so nostalgic.
But I did see a stag there once...
I swear!

At the parking lot a bit of confusion.
Where are we staying anyway?
A quick phone call, around the corner
And there I see the two smiling down at me.
My adopted sibling. You haven't changed a bit,
Except your hair...like a 30s Flapper,
Lovely indeed

Fairwell mammy. She waves goodbye to me
Her 4 year old, 15 year old, 22 year old-
I am still her child, and she will always be my mother.

I feel...

We collect ourselves, hugs all around.
The gang is back together again. Plus a few
Minus a few. But main elements in place,
We begin living in our time capsule.

No comments:

Post a Comment